Now that the holidays are over, many of us are looking for small ways to indulge in the simpler things in life; things like rest and relaxation. For many, getaways at this time of year involve warmth and sun. However, we think there are plenty of great things to do during the winter in this historic New England town. With its natural beauty comes a town full of interesting places to explore, a variety of shops to browse, and a top-notch restaurant scene fit for any foodie. We can think of no better place to spend a few restorative days than the Cliffside Inn Bed and Breakfast. Book your getaway to Newport today! Continue reading
Newport, Rhode Island has long been a popular travel destination for those heading to New England. Here, you’ll find miles of unspoiled beaches to explore, historic mansions to visit, scenic trails to wander, distinctive shops to browse, and renowned restaurants to savor. Our unique fusion of past and present comes together into one spectacular destination. In early November, we look forward to Newport’s Restaurant Week; the perfect time to sample a variety of Newport’s finest restaurants at a fabulous price. Book your room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast today, and discover the flavors of Newport this fall. Continue reading
During the winter months, the City by the Sea takes on a serene and magical glow, and there are plenty of indoor and outdoor winter activities in Newport, Rhode Island to keep you busy, including some fantastic restaurants, unique shops to explore, cozy spots to enjoy a warm drink or glass of wine by the fire, and much more.
To top it off, the Cliffside Inn offers lower rates in the winter, so you can enjoy everything our historic luxury inn has to offer while saving some extra money to use around town.
What to do in the Newport area this winter:
- Take part in the 2013 Newport Winter Festival, February 15th-24th, and enjoy 10 days of food, music, and entertainment throughout Newport and Newport County.
- Explore the history and charm of the Newport Mansions, the Preservation Society of Newport County’s historical properties representing over 250 years of architectural history in Newport.
- Dine at several of our favorite local restaurants, including The Mooring, Mamma Luisa Ristorante, Restaurant Bouchard, and more.
- Shop to your heart’s content at Newport’s many antique shops and boutiques like Aardvark Antiques, The Drawing Room Antiques, Style Newport, and more.
- Feast your eyes on gorgeous works of art at the Newport Art Museum, National Museum of American Illustration, and more.
- Cozy up by the fire with a drink at the Cliffside Inn, White Horse Tavern, Clarke Cook House, The Black Pearl, or Castle Hill.
- Enjoy the best of the silver screen at the historic Jane Pickens Theater and stop by in February to see the live-action and animated Oscar Shorts of 2013.
- Strap on a pair of ice skates at the Newport Skating Center and take advantage of their Live DJ Skate Nights every Friday in January.
These are just a few ideas for winter activities in Newport, Rhode Island. For even more ideas, check out our Newport Activities page. You’ll find lots of links to many of our favorite spots in the Newport area.