Newport’s Blithewold Mansion is arguably one of the most beautiful of the Newport Mansions, with it’s incredible gardens and a stunning view of Narragansett Bay. Blithewold is considered to be one of the most intact examples of a Country Place Era estate, and is a stunning example of the Arts and Crafts movement in art and architecture. But Blithewold is really known for their extraordinary gardens, which feature and incredible range of rare and unusual plants, specimen trees, and whimsical stonework. The majority of the gardens are still intact and as they were in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, and they bring the estate to life the way Bessie Van Wickle McKee envisioned all those years ago. Come stay with us at the Cliffside Inn Bed and Breakfast in Newport this summer, and explore the extraordinary grounds at Blithewold Estate.
Gardens at Blithewold Estate
Today, the gardens at Blithewold Mansion are a combination of historic and modern gardening. The earliest of the gardens, which include the 10-acre Great Lawn, the Enclosed Garden, the Orchard, and the Cutting (now the Idea Garden) and Vegetable Gardens, were established in the 1890’s. Those were followed by the Greenhouses, the Bosquet, Rose, Water, North, and Rock Gardens in the early 1900’s. Modern gardens include the Pollinator Garden, a small nursery, and a new Vegetable Garden.
Events at Blithewold Mansion
This summer, there are a number of events at Blithewold that showcase their beautiful estate and gardens, and make an excellent outing when in Newport. Here’s a guide to making the most of your visit to Blithewold:
- Every Wednesday and Saturday, join in a guided tour of the mansion, where docents will tell the story of the Van Wickle/McKee family, the original owners of Blithewold.
- Take a guided tour of Blithewold’s archives on Thursday afternoons. Upcoming Collections Tours include Family Celebrations, The Civil War, Entertaining at Blithewold, and Highlights with a Book Specialist.
- The final Arboretum Walk at Blithewold will take place on June 29, 2018, which is a great opportunity to see the varied and beautiful trees on the estate.
- Wednesday Evenings are also the perfect time to relax and unwind with Blithewold’s summer concert series on the Great Lawn.
- On July 31, 2018, enjoy a performance from Encore Opera Company, celebrating the centenary of Leonard Bernstein with a variety of songs from his musicals and operas.
- On August 30, 2018, join Blithewold Mansion for Dinner on the Terrace, where dinner will celebrate the season’s harvest, freshly picked from Blithewold’s vegetable garden. Guests will dine family style on the terrace, enjoying sweeping views of the harbor, acoustic guitar, and paired wines.
Exploring the grounds at Blithewold Mansion is but one of many wonderful things that await you in Newport, Rhode island. The Innkeepers at Cliffside Inn are here to help you plan the perfect itinerary during your time in Newport. Book your room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast today.