Now that the holidays are over, many of us are looking for small ways to indulge in the simpler things in life; things like rest and relaxation. For many, getaways at this time of year involve warmth and sun. However, we think there are plenty of great things to do during the winter in this historic New England town. With its natural beauty comes a town full of interesting places to explore, a variety of shops to browse, and a top-notch restaurant scene fit for any foodie. We can think of no better place to spend a few restorative days than the Cliffside Inn Bed and Breakfast. Book your getaway to Newport today!
Make the Most of a Winter Getaway in Newport
Though summer is without a doubt the most popular time of year to visit Newport, there are plenty of reasons to spend some time here during winter as well. If you plan well enough ahead, you can experience 10 wonderful days of events at the Newport Winter Festival. Otherwise, you’ll find that the crowds are largely gone, opening the town up for leisurely enjoyment. Here are a few great ways to enjoy your winter getaway in Newport:
- Enjoy some of Newport’s most popular restaurants, such as The White Horse Tavern, The Stoneacre Pantry, Restaurant Bouchard, or the Brick Alley Pub.
- Browse the many incredible shops and boutiques that line Thames Street, or explore Newport’s Bowen’s and Bannister’s Wharfs.
- Relax and indulge at one of the many glorious day spas in Newport. The water journey at Bodhi Spa, which starts in a 104 degree epsom salt pool, is an incredible way to spend a cold winter day.
- Get a glimpse into Newport’s storied and wealthy past, with tours at Newport’s three most popular mansions: The Breakers, The Marble House, and The Elms.
- Bundle up and walk the nearby Cliffwalk, a 3.5 mile journey through Newport’s natural and architectural beauty. It’s one of Newport’s most famous attractions for a reason, and worth the effort, even during the winter!
- Take in some live music through the Newport Music Festival’s Winter Concert Series.
- Enjoy a show at the extraordinary Jane Pickens Theater, located in the heart of historic Newport.
- Step back in time for some classic winter fun at the Newport Skating Center, an outdoor skating rink on the waterfront in downtown Newport.
- Take in the latest exhibits at the exquisite Newport Art Museum
- Take a tour of the Audrain Automobile Museum, which houses 112 of the rarest and most remarkable vehicles in history, ranging from the beginning of the 20th Century to modern day.
- No trip to Newport would complete without a little Tennis. The International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum features an incredible collection of Tennis-related items, and is highly interactive. Among the exhibits are tennis culture touch table, video highlights of great matches, a tennis globe featuring news and updates from around the world, and a hologram of 17-time major champion Roger Federer.
Winter is anything but boring in Newport. Book your winter getaway at the Cliffside Inn today, and discover a different side of Newport, Rhode Island.