There’s no doubt that summer is an extraordinary time of year in Newport, Rhode Island. Though summer is delightful and we’re sad to see it go, there’s something almost magical about fall in Newport, when the cool autumnal breezes and vibrant colors descend upon our shores. There is still plenty to see and do in Rhode Island this fall. Whether you’re interested in experiencing outdoor adventures, enjoying garden Tours and Newport’s arts scene, or celebrating at festivals and events, Newport has something in store for everyone this fall. One of our favorite things about fall are the harvest festivals at local wineries and farms in the Newport area. To get in on some of the fall fun, book your room at our luxury Bed and Breakfast today.
Harvest at Newport Farms & Wineries
As the temperature cools and the pace begins to slow in the Newport area, it’s time we focus on savoring the season; a season that is a veritable feast for the senses. Vibrant fall colors will soon begin their colorful show, and food festivals and harvest events give us a chance to celebrate our local bounty. While you’re visiting Newport, make time to participate in at least one of these fun fall-themed activities:
- The annual Norman Bird Sanctuary Harvest Fair will take place September 30 – October 1, 2017. This year marks the 43rd year of this favorite autumnal tradition, which includes old-fashioned activities like the “Mabel Express” barrel train, pony rides, a mud pit, crafts, local food trucks, a Newport Storm Beer Garden, and more.
- Farmfest will take place at Mount Hope Farm on October 28, and will feature tours, Native American storytellers, militia re-enactments, viewing of farm animals, hayrides and much more. It’s also the final day of their outdoor farmers market for the year, so a great time to stock up on fall favorites.
- Get in on the grape-stomping action at Newport Vineyard’s second annual Harvest Festival, followed by their Halloween Carnevil Celebration on October 29.
- As the annual grape harvest comes to an end, celebrate with the Greenvale Vineyards Harvest Festival on November 11. There will be plenty of fall-themed fun, plus of course wine tastings of Greenvale’s estate grown varietals.
- Get lost in the Corn maze at Escobar Farms in nearby Portsmouth. Their 8-acre maze is open now through November 5, 2017.
- Go apple or pumpkin picking in the fields and orchards of Sweetberry Farm. While there, make sure to browse through their selection of goods in the Farm Market.
There’s plenty more happening in Newport this fall, and all of it deserves mention. Boaters should check out the International Boat Show, and foodies won’t want to miss the Newport Mansions Food & Wine Festival or the Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival. For an old-fashioned thrill, head to the Fortress of Nightmares at Fort Adams throughout the month of October. Whatever it is you make time for in Newport, make the Cliffside Inn your home away from home. From the moment you arrive, you’ll enjoy exceptional hospitality and luxurious amenities in our historic Bed and Breakfast. Book your room with us today.