The ten-mile drive is full of recreational treasures, including iconic mansions and estates, public parks, coastal walks and beautiful sunsets. Bring your camera or your canvas with you on Ocean Drive as you will want to capture the lovely coastal scenery to take home as one of the great memories of your Newport visit.
Here is a list of some of the most popular attractions you can visit and see:
- The Elms — Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Berwind, this National Historic Landmark is open to the public. Visitors can enjoy the remarkable architectural detail of the mansion, which resembles the mid 18th century French chateau d’Asnieres, located right outside of Paris.
- The Breakers — Going right along the drive onto Ochre Point Avenue, there are a number of historical estates that are now formally a part of Salve Regina University. At the end of this stretch you can see Newport’s grandest summer cottages, The Breakers. The Breakers is a grand symbol of the Vanderbilt family and their fortune, and visitors can now visit the mansion along with the stable and carriage house located only half a mile west of the home.
- The Marble House and Rosecliff — At the intersection of Ruggles and Bellevue Avenue you will drive right by “the temple to the arts,” the Vanderbilt’s Marble House and the garden retreat of Rosecliff. You may even recognize the Rosecliff from a few major motion pictures, such as “The Great Gatsby,” “True Lies” and “27 Dresses.”
- Brenton Point State Park – At the mid-point of Ocean Drive, at the tip of the island, is Brenton State Park, which is the perfect location for a fall-time picnic or to fly a kite while taking in the picture perfect views of the Atlantic and the iconic Castle Hill.
- Fort Adams — The historical Fort Adams is located towards the end of Ocean Drive where you will have the best view of Newport Harbor. You can walk around the perimeter of Fort Adams and take in over 180 years of American history.
- The Museum of Yachting — After visiting Fort Adams take a walk through the Museum of Yachting and discover the culture and heritage of one of Newport’s most popular attractions.
The ten-mile drive will land you back in downtown Newport where you can enjoy a delicious bite to eat or shop to your heart’s content. Then cap off your night by staying in one of the romantic and elegant rooms at Cliffside Inn.
Full of history and romance, our Victorian Inn is the perfect place to stay while visiting Ocean Drive. Book your stay at Cliffside today so you can experience fall while enjoying the best of Newport.